Monday, August 11, 2008

6 out of 7

Gay and I have done a lot of competitive running, and we have had the necessary training, under a qualified coach. So we are aware that it is folly to indulge in strenuous activity every day, without giving your body a chance to recover.

Applying this to the walk, it seems sensible to plan for regular rest days. If I walk 6 days then have a rest on the 7th (could I start a religion here?), it would mean 60 walking days during the 70 days trip. Hopefully we can arrange to be somewhere interesting (not difficult in France) on each rest day.

60 walking days at an average of 30 kilometres a day, which I am sure I can manage, barring accident, injury or illness, means that I should be walking 1800 kms. This gives me plenty of leeway if I take the shortest routes, but since the shortest route involves some motorways - which I shall probably avoid unless I get up a real head of steam and a really good pace - and as I shall be looking for quiet roads - which will meander a bit, but not as much as the Grandes Randonnees - I hope I shall have distance in hand. Who knows, I may even be able to put in extra rest days or, if necessary, days to recover from any physical problems.

No comments: