Saturday, August 6, 2011

Getting Rid Of Heel Pain



Far from doing any Big Walking, for the past few months I have done no walking at all, except for the normal day-to-day bobbing about.

I have mentioned before that I have a heel spur, or plantar fasciitis. It is difficult to distinguish between the two because they give pain in the same place. And whichever pain it is, it is very difficult to get rid of.

I had it once before, about 10 years ago, and successfully divested myself of it by undergoing a course of ESWT (Extra-corporeal Shock Wave Therapy). As you can see in the picture, the physio holds a device which looks something like an ultrasound scanner. It is applied to the afflicted part, in this case the heel, and produces pain which, like a good thrashing from a parent in the olden days, is good for you. I understand that this gadget was developed for breaking up kidney stones, then somebody discovered that it was good for tennis elbow and heel spur/plantar fasciitis.

10 years ago there were only 2 places in UK where you could get the treatment. I was having to spend some time in UK just then so elected to go into central London for the treatment, much though I loathe the place with a burning malevolence. 3 treatments were enough to clear up my problem, although the benefit comes some weeks after the third treatment. I have to admit that it gets worse before it gets better.

This year I knew that it needed doing but I have been putting it off. I didn't want to fly to England four times, even though the availability is far more widespread now. I could have it done in France, probably even have it paid for by the health service, but I would have to drive hundreds of kilometres each time.

Things played into my hands in a rather unfortunate way. A close member of my family is seriously ill and I am commuting to NW England to visit him. So I took the plunge and on each trip am having the ESWT treatment in Altrincham, where we used to live. I am hoping to be back on the road in a more serious way before the end of the year.

For details of where to find my book "Vic's Big Walk from SW France to NW EnglandW" double click on this.

No comments: